Snoring as well as the appearance of Sleep Apnea Syndrome while sleeping is a very common problem, especially among over-weight people and gets more frequent and more severe as years go by. Snoring is being produced in the pharynx area by the uvula, the soft palate, the palatoglossal and palatopharyngeal arches, the tonsils, the tongue and the adenoids.
Because of this fact, there must be a very profound examination in order to find out what is the exact problem and what would be the recommended solutions. The examination concludes endoscopic tests of the nose, pharynx, mouth, oropharynx nd larynx, as well as sleeping tests, maybe x-rays and probably lung or allergy tests.
The operation is called Uvulo-Palato-Pharyngoplasty (UPPP). There is an extraction of this part of the uvula that exceeds, extraction of the parts of the palatoglossal and palatopharyngeal arches that exceed using conventional equipment, ultrasound cutter, radio frequency or Laser. There can also be tonsillectomy.
- Placing the patient inTrendelenburg Position (supine and head lower than the body) with open mouth
- Extraction of this part of the uvula that exceeds, extraction of the parts of the palatoglossal and palatopharyngeal arches that exceed using conventional equipment, ultrasound cutter, radio frequency or Laser
- Suture in the lower pole of the rejected tonsil
- If there is an ypertrophy of the adenoids there will be an extraction through the mouth (adenotomy)
Duration of surgery
Stay in the clinic
Discharge after 6 hours. If it is combined with other surgeries as mentioned below, discharge can be given the morning after
Immediate result, decrease of the size of the uvula, the palatoglossal and palatopharyngeal arches and tonsils.
Combination with other operations
It is usually combined with tonsils removal and in case of adenoid hypertrophy it is combined with adenotomy. In cases of problems in breathing it can be combined with nasal septoplasty (nasal septum straightening) and cauterisation of the nasal conchas
Instructions after surgery
- Immediate mobilization of the patient after surgery
- Avoiding hot food and drinks for 7-10 days
- Avoiding rough food for 15-20 days
- Painkillers are systematically prescripted for 7-10 days
- Antibiotics are being given as precaution for 7-10 days
- There is no sutures removal because they get absorbed ⁄ rejected